Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Course Reflection #1

Coming in to this first course I wanted to broaden my knowledge of Web 2.0 tools and how to apply them in my classroom. Additionally, I was hoping to gain leadership skills, or at the very least, theoretical information I could take and apply with the hope of integrating these new found traits into my everyday life. Finally, I wanted to discover greater insight in regards to legal, copyright, and privacy issues.

While I achieved many of the learning outcomes I had beginning this course I did not accomplish all I set out to do. The Web 2.0 tools I have learned about during this course are remarkable. Trying to discover ways to utilize all of these tools, while not exhaustive, could take all year, if not longer. I am of the persuasion that I do not have to implement everything all at once. I read a story of a US History teacher who taught four sections. He divided his students into groups with one student from each class per group. The students were then assigned a particular topic regarding an historical figure and required to submit their findings via a wiki. The project ended up looking like a Wikipedia page! I have met with two of my colleagues and we are planning on implementing this particular project this year! I would never have been able to pull something like this off before, but now having learned about wikis and their usefulness along with the leadership skills to mobilize plans into motion this dream will become a reality.

The course certainly helped me conquer the goals I had set. The layout, readings, and assignments for the most part contributed to my being able to meet these expectations. I will discuss in a later post the shortcomings of my learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment